Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Out Of My Comfort Zone

I just read a post about “comfort” and let me tell you……I have been out of my “comfort zone” for awhile now. I had to get out of it because it was slowly but surely killing me. Killing me physically….. Killing me mentally & worst of all…..Killing me spiritually. I won’t go into all of it because some things are just personal and not meant for everyone. But one example of something in my comfort zone that was hurting me physically was my bad habit of smoking. I had been smoking on and off since I was 16. It started out as one cigarette here and there and it became a pack of cigarettes every single day. I had very little money because a lot of it went to $6 packs of cigs every single day. I don’t even want to know what that adds up to a year. I could probably have a whole lot more than I have now. But I guess it was just another lesson in this crazy/beautiful life. I just recently quit smoking and started running. Do you know how long I have wanted to run and couldn’t because of my crippling addiction to cigarettes? I used to be a runner in high school and I remember feeling good physically and mentally. Now…..I am getting back to that and I couldn’t be happier. BUT…..I had to step out of my comfort zone.

untitledasasas

I won’t go into this much but I met the love of my life because I stepped out of my comfort zone. I was used to dating the same time of guys all my life……and when I met my boyfriend a few years ago, I knew that there was something about him……I knew it was going to be something big. So……on a leap of faith…..I broke up with the guy I had been seeing for almost 7 months the day after I met who became the love of my life. I stepped out of my comfort zone and thank God for this one because I can’t imagine life without my man. Smile

Another way I stepped out of my comfort zone is when (recently) I started worshipping and going back to church. I quit going to church because for so long I believed the church I was a part of was the only church that was going to Heaven……and to get there in this certain church…..you had to be perfect. I remember being so frustrated because I was FAR from perfect and I used to think there was no way I could get into Heaven according to this certain church. So I quit. I thought “what’s the point?” That was several years ago and since I have just recently started turning my life around, I just recently starting worshipping at a different church. A church where the people are nice, non judgmental. The preacher is a young person, so he knows the trials and tribulations us young people are faced with today. I connect with him. Most importantly…..I have established my own personal relationship with God. I do my daily devotionals every day. I pray as often as I can. I thank HIM for saving my life. I was headed down a horrible path…..but because I gave my life back to Him…….He saved me and I am forever thankful for that.

I had to step out of my comfort zone to be where I am now. Am I perfect now? Ha! Not even close…..but I do feel better and that’s way more than I could say when I was in my so called “comfort zone”. 

So if you are in a rut or you’re not happy with how your life is going. Step out of your comfort zone. Try some new things. Do those things you have always wanted to do but have never felt comfortable with. You never know what it might lead you to. Smile

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on quitting smoking! I quit 4 years ago and it was the hardest and best decision I have ever made. I am so proud of the progress in running I have made since then!
    I started going back to church in December and started doing a daily bible plan, I have been back to church in about a month or two because I just felt the same that you did, that I had to be perfect and I'm not. There are things in my life that my choices but not bad choices but people judge you for them and God is the only person that should be judging me. I am hoping to find a new church very soon.

    ReplyDelete